If you guys are Bengali (from Bangladesh), you know what I mean when I say “I have gashshtick” and it refers to someone experiencing heart burn.
So, in the case of someone experiencing heart burn (which often feels like you’re having a heart attack btw!) you may ask why? Well, we ask when does the heartburn happen? As there are many factors that cause this interesting process. Stress, caffeine, acidic foods, spicy foods, nicotine (as it relaxes your muscles including your stomach’s little sphincter, think of it like a little muscle that acts like a rubber band, that keeps it nice and closed.)
So! There are obviously a ton of drugs you can take for this and I am going to share with you guys how they work…
They either cancel out the acids that your stomach is producing OR allowing your body to create a defense.
Antacids: fight off the body has already created so it works right away! This is the drug of choice if you already ate…
- Alka seltzer
H2 inhibitors: Blocks off one of the pumps(histamine-2 receptor) that promote the cascade of acid productions
- Tagamet– DO NOT USE because it causes interference in hormones causes males to have impotence, lactation, and breast formations. It should also be avoided in pregnancy as it crosses the placenta and is toxic to the baby. So, why is it even a thing? Because it’s one of the H2 inhibitors invented. So, generally, when drugs are first founded, they have really bad side effects they learn about later….
- Some Asians are deficient in the enzyme known as aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH2), which breaks down the byproduct of alcohol. This enzyme also processes histamine – a chemical involved in allergic reactions that allow more blood flow to areas of your body like your face, causing a flush. That means that if you have a genetically changed ALDH2, you don’t break down histamines as quickly, either. That’s where the glow comes in. When the enzyme works overtime to try to process the alcohol, histamine builds up and causes an extreme flush. This is when you should take Pepcid to prevent the redness. But, be warned it accumulates alcohol in your body and sometimes you don’t even feel it until the drug wears off.
- don’t give to your grandma, it will make her confused. But another solution for Asian glow if Pepcid doesn’t work!
PPIs: Blocks of the last pump that causes the acid. Indicated for chronic use and VERY effective . Takes about 1-3days to kick in irreversible.
- Nexium – you can see this also in the hospital IV use
- Protonix- you can see this also in the hospital IV use